Search This Blog

Friday, February 02, 2007

Sweater 2

Happy Groundhog Day! I heard that Punxsutawney Phil didn't see his shadow, and so the winter will end in 2 weeks instead of 6.
I've finished my second sweater for the year for the Sweater KAL. It's a 3-color variation of Tubey with a square neck bordered with garter stitch. The sleeves are a little over 3/4 length and have cuffs in garter stitch. There is a narrow stripe at the elbow with a change of color after that. The sleeve is basically straight. The only striping for the lower garment is in the 5" or so under the front neckline. Details are here. It's also linked in the side bar under the name TSquared. And this is a picture of me taking a picture of myself modeling the pullover. I'm obviously not good at taking pictures of myself. ... And this is the best of the lot.
I've now frogged my old Tubey and am going to remake it in this style. The four balls of yarn are from the sleeves, the upper garment, and the lower garment. It will have more stripes than the one just finished, but the last stripe for the tube part will be at my waist. (I tried it on as I was frogging it and discovered that if the stripes ended at my waist, it looked a lot better on me.) And I'm planning to make bell sleeves as in the original. I'm also planning on making it smaller around.
I was planning to make the first of my SAM3 socks in KP Essential using the Monkey pattern from knitty.com. However, the yarn I was going to use (the Peruvian) doesn't show lace as well as the (Italian) Essential that I used for Zokni. So, I'm debating whether to find a pattern more suited to the yarn or to use a different color (from the Essential skeins I have of it that were made in Italy). I wonder which is the "new" Essential. Oh well, part of knitting is finding what pattern the yarn wants to be knit into.

5 comments:

Stefaneener said...

I've got to give Tubey a try. It looks great -- what I can see of it! Are you enjoying blocking more now?

Carol said...

ha ha (about the blocking) :)
And thanks.
Tubey is a neat, unusual type of sweater. The top is knit sideways and the bottom regular. I didn't have to block it since it's made from acrylic yarn that was left over from the first Tubey I made. It wasn't until recently that I started using wool yarn and so my panic about blocking.

Unknown said...

Great sweater! I really love it. That's truly a nice variation on the Tubey Sweater. I also really enjoyed your version of Smock it to Me, and have used it as inspiration for my current sweater.

Carol said...

I'm glad you like the sweaters. Thanks.

Robin said...

Great idea on the placement of the stripes on Tubey! I had thought of making this but hadn't considered the stripes hitting across the widest part of my hips - eeek! Good call - if I make this I will make that modification as well.