Search This Blog

Friday, September 07, 2007

Friday plus Sweater #7

I forgot to say in my last post that we went to Yankee Stadium last Saturday. We saw more of the Bronx than we had hoped to see. I guess we should have expected a big turnout for a holiday weekend. We couldn't find any place to park in stadium parking. So, we finally ended up parking on the street quite a few blocks away. We passed by the first closed stadium parking area about 20 minutes before game time. We didn't get into the stadium until the 3rd inning. To top it off, they were out of pepperoni pizza -- my DS2's favorite. So, he decided on just ice cream. I had a hot dog. I don't know what my DH had to eat. We had 2 free tickets from a friend and bought one off the internet. My DH ended up sitting in the second to last row near the left field foul pole. We were sitting in the middle tier of seats near the right field foul pole.

The first picture is of my finished Festive. It's made in worsted weight acrylic with size 7 needles. And it's my own pattern. It has an i-cord cast-on neckline and a trellis yoke. I liked the pattern so well that I decided to make another one. It's pictured next to the September dishcloth KAL. I've, of course, made some changes. (I never knit a pattern exactly as written, even if I'm the one who did the writing.) Instead of a cast-on edge of 110 sts, I decided on 100. Wool (in this case, KP Swish Superwash) has more give than acrylic. I was also tired of purl sts. I changed all the purl sts into knit ones.

I've also experimented on the dishcloth. The upper right hand corner had a baking soda bath. The lower left hand corner had a vinegar bath.

I was more than pleasantly surprised by the mystery garment in the Bits and Bobs Yahoo group. It's turned out to be a capelet-- and a handsome one at that. I'm making it in Wool-Ease with size 10 needles. There's only a few more rows to go before it's done. It may take me a while to finish it. I have to decide on a button. I'd really like to knit or crochet one in the same yarn as the capelet. I like the yarn a lot. This is my first time using it.

Finally, I was feeling lonesome for something challenging to do after finishing MS3. So, even though I've already joined the Yahoo group "Secret of the Stole", I decided to join the Chrysalis Yahoo stole group, as well. However, I outsmarted myself. The actual KALs start within a week of each other, one the end of September, the other the beginning of October. Luckily, I've got some KP interchangeable needles now.

Since hardly anyone reads to the bottom of a post anyway, I might as well say that I'm feeling down. My DS1 is out of a job. The car dealership he worked for went into a slump and had to get rid of some employees. He's currently busily looking for work. My DS2 has quit graduate school. I guess we should have seen earlier that he wasn't cut out for graduate school. Math used to be a joy for him. Now, it's become drudgery. We're not sure exactly why. On the other hand, we have great friends. My DD (who is still in London) volunteered to help clear out his flat. It was a lot of hard work. She and her boyfriend did a lot of the final cleanup. A friend of ours also helped a great deal. Thank you.

No comments: