Search This Blog

Friday, August 14, 2009

getting ready for winter

I must be subconsciously thinking it's almost time for winter to start. I've recently finished a winter-themed shawl and a tuque.

But, there's more to it than my thinking that it's snowy around here most of the time -- even though we did move to the area in January of last year and have experienced 2 colder than normal winters and 2 colder than normal summers so far.

The tuque is a Jayne Cobb hat for my DS2. It recently came to our attention that my DD hadn't seen any Firefly episodes. So, we had a Firefly marathon while she and DS2 were visiting for part of the summer. I finished the hat just in time for "The Message" episode. DS2 wore it through the entire episode. It's made with Vanna's Choice yarn in rust, mustard, and brick.
I'd never tried Vanna's Choice before. I really like the colors and the feel of the yarn.

Next on my to-do list was to finish a shawl I'd started last year, Estes Park by Nautical Knitter. I changed the snow flakes a little and made the increases a bit more regular. I started working on it with the Yahoo group KAL. -- And have finally finished. I was originally going to make it into a curtain. Then I changed my mind and decided to work it as a shawl. I also decided to change colors. So, here it is ... with beads and in KP bare lace-weight yarn. I really like how the background pattern changes subtly. It really reminds me of a field of snow.

1 comment:

Nautical Knitter said...

It is interesting to see Estes Park with a point on the end. The stole is originally supposed to be rounded at the ends. Yours looks lovely!