Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Shawl finished

My shawl for the Yahoo! Project of the Month KAL is finally finished. It's made with size 10 needles and HomeSpun Prairie. I've never made or worn a shawl before, and so I'm not sure if it turned out right. (I'd also never knit with HomeSpun or size 10 needles before. It was a nice change of pace.) The pattern I was using, a wave and shell shaw pattern said that the shawl should be about 24" wide and 60" long. My first effort gave a shawl about 20" wide and finishable with about 2 skeins of HomeSpun. So, since I'd already bought 3 skeins, I frogged it and made it one panel wider. It's a bit wider than 24" and a bit longer than 60". This is the result.

I thought a garter stitch edging made the shawl gather together too much on the edges, and so I modified it. On WS rows 4, 8, 12, and 16 of the pattern, I did "k1, p to last st, k1". But on WS rows 10 and 14, I changed the first p5 to k5 and the last p4 to k4.

For SAM3, I'm making the diagonal rib socks from Knitting Daily. Ever since I frogged a whole sweater in part because I didn't like how my left and right twists looked, I've been looking off and on for an easy pattern to practice on and also a good way to make the twists. There are quite a few links for the right twist. This link gave me the best-looking and easiest way to do a left twist. (I used what the author said was her preferred method for making a left twist when both left and right twists appear.) The pattern from the Knitting Daily website doesn't have any left twists in it, but I altered it so I could practice them.

No comments: