Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Sweater 5

My fifth sweater for the year is now finished. (The picture doesn't do it justice.) It feels so nice. Patons 100% Wool merino is really soft.

This sweater is my version of the knitty.com pattern Bob. However, the only similarities between the two patterns is the final result. This one is knit from the top down and in the round. I've knit this (my) pattern twice before. The major change this time, from the last time I knit it, is to use a simple narrow k1p1 ribbing at the bottom of the sweater in order to take away interest from the hips. The bind offs are decrease bind offs, which are fairly stretchy.

I just looked at my old version of the pattern from the May 2004 archives of my aol journal. That pattern is slightly different to the pattern for the sweater in the picture (and slightly different from the pattern in the April archives of my aol journal). Here is the revised pattern. I can't believe that I've been blogging for that long. The 2004 version was the first short-sleeve sweater I'd ever made.

One time I asked my daughter why things turn out so much better when we cook/bake something together as opposed to when I cook/bake alone. She pointed out that I always change the recipe -- even my own -- and that she "forces" me not to make too many changes on the fly. With knitting, one can make changes on the fly. If it doesn't work out, there's always frogging. With cooking, the best options are sometimes to start over or to live with it.

I've already started on sweater #6, a summer sweater from another of my patterns, Summer Square. I'm using KP shine worsted in a light blue for the sweater and have finished off one skein of yarn already. The skeins are smallish.

I restarted the shawl I was working on. I decided to make it wider. So, now, it's one pattern repeat wider than it was in the picture in the last post. I still like Homespun. It's kind of fun to knit with. I'm already thinking about other projects that I might make with the yarn. (I'm also thinking about other projects to make with Patons -- probably a long-sleeve sweater.) I'll probably make a fitted shawl for my mom with Homespun next, the Fitted Shawl from KnittingDaily. I almost always end up making changes to patterns, even my own. However, I don't think I'll end up making too many changes. Though, it would be nice to add a couple of pockets. ...

The dishcloth is the midMay KAL dishcloth from the Yahoo! dishcloth KAL group. It's an interesting pattern. I haven't decided what it reminds me of in its orange yarn which I'm still deciding whether or not I like.

No comments: