Search This Blog

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Shawl

The project for the Yahoo! Project of the Month KAL is a shawl. Actually, it's the project for both May and June. I'm making a wave and shell shawl with Homespun Prairie yarn. I don't know why, but I'm having no problems knitting with it. I probably should be using a needle larger than the size 10 one I'm using. But, I had the needle from some project that I never even started and wanted to use it for something.

Also, I've posted an easy-to-make pullover pattern on my other knitting blog. It's a knit-from-the-bottom and seam-up-the-sides-and-top pullover. In writing and rewriting the pattern, I've gotten the urge to make it again -- especially since the pattern as it now stands is so much better than the one I originally used. But, I've got a couple of sweaters to knit before buying yarn for this one. I debated (and am still debating) on whether it would be better to have a slip-stitch edging or a knit-stitch edging (knit at the beginning and end of every right-side and wrong-side row). I opted for the knit-stitch one (since I saw on one episode of Knitty Gritty how easy it was to sew up seams with that king of edging). Then I thought about how to pick up stitches with a knit-stitch edging. So, I picked up stitches off of one of my dishcloths and liked the look.

So, my next philosophical question is why haven't I found any sock patterns in which the heel flap doesn't have a slip-stitch edge. It seems to me that a knitted edge would give an edge that is just as easy to pick up stitches from. (Pick up a stitches between bumps.) Plus, it might lie flatter and be less likely to leave gaps. I haven't tried it yet. But I most likely will on my next pair of socks.

Finally, I've started knitting the mid-May KAL dishcloth. I started over on it because it's one of the times that, to me, variations of the ssk won't do. It's looks so much better with slip 1 knitwise, slip 1 knitwise, knit the stitches together through back loop.

No comments: