Search This Blog

Friday, May 22, 2009

a life line

I used a life line for the first time recently in completing this shawl -- Amethyst Wrap by Chrissy Gardiner. The wrap is made with Abstract Fiber Mighty Sock yarn in Broadway Bridge, using size 5 needles. (I sample knitted the wrap for Abstract Fiber.)

The pattern has a 24 row repeat. I wasn't sure whether there was enough yarn to work another last repeat. So, I threaded some dental floss through the tightening hole of one of my Knit Picks interchangeable needles and worked the pattern across and then broke off the dental floss. Then I started to knit another pattern repeat. I came up a few rows too short. But, it was surprisingly easy to frog back to the life line and start the edging from there.

I left the life line in while blocking the scarf. To my amazement, it helped in the blocking process. The edge with the dental floss didn't flare out at all. Plus it turned out perfectly even across. The other edge flared out slightly and showed the effects of the lace pattern in that the edge had definite peaks and valleys.

No comments: