Search This Blog

Monday, May 07, 2007

Sandy Hook

Yesterday was a beautiful day here in New Jersey. So, my DH said let's go for a drive and that I should pick out a place to go. So, I used mapquest and entered "beach" as my intended destination. After looking at the list of possibilities, I entered a state, NJ. On page 2 of the possible destinations, there was a beach that looked interesting and fairly near. So, I printed off directions.

A road trip wouldn't be a road trip without me getting lost. So, when US 9 and NJ 36 divided, I told my DH to follow US 9. I hadn't gotten to the NJ 36 part of the directions yet -- although evidently the car had. Then quite a few miles later, probably about a third of the way to Atlantic City, I told my DH that he should start looking for NJ 36. He said we'd passed it quite a while back. So, I looked at a NJ map, we turned toward the coast, and started going north on NJ 36. It's before Memorial Day and so we were able to visit Sandy Hook for free. We got to see seagulls! Seagulls are in the foreground of the picture and NYC is barely visible in the distance on the horizon.

We traveled all the way to almost the northernmost part of Sandy Hook. There are battlements there that were constructed during the War of 1812 to protect the NYC harbor and the entrance to the Hudson River. It was surprising to me that the lighthouse was so far from the shore. But, it's a nice looking lighthouse. And, even with the getting lost part, it wasn't too bad of a drive. Plus, it was nice to see the ocean and seagulls. (I miss the seagulls we used to have in our back garden in Broadstairs.)

As to knitting, I'm halfway done with my second Baudelaire sock. I've finished the May KAL dishcloth (of a daffodil in bloom). And I've restarted the sweater I've been working on. -- Paton's Merino Wool doesn't shrink much, if at all. It's also fairly stretchy. But, so far it's holding its shape and feels soft. So far, it's working out to 4 sts and 6 rows per inch for me with size 7 needles -- my usual for worsted weight yarn.

No comments: