Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Sweater 4

Finally, it's finished -- just in time for the warm weather we're having now. :) This is the last sweater for quite some while that I'm going to make on size 3 needles. But, at least, I've finally found a pattern for this yarn and have used up some of my stash. The yarn is Robin Double Knit, which I purchased at a post office when we were living in Kent. It's knit from the top down. The neck is garter stitch in first red, then a knit and then a purl round of the main color, then a knit and then a purl round of red again. The basket-weave stitch itself is k4, p4 for 8 rounds then p4, k4 for another 8 rounds. The sleeves are finished with 4 rounds of garter stitch in red (starting with a knit round), then a knit round in the main color, followed by a set-up round and then by k1, p1 ribbing. The bottom of the garment is finished off the same way (except for the change in color -- no need to emphasize the hips). I made double decreases every 16th round on the sleeves and also decreased evenly around before both the garter stitch and ribbing finishing. (To decrease for the ribbing, I did k1, p1, k1, p2tog for the sleeves. For the garment, *k1, p1* 4 times, k1, p2tog. Next time, I do ribbing I'll replace the k1's by slip sts in this set-up round.)

For the next sweater, I'm going to make a simple top-down boat-neck short-sleeve raglan in Patons Merino denim with size 7 needles. I've never knit with this yarn before. So, it will be a bit of an adventure. To make it more exciting, I'm not going to swatch. Instead, I've knit 4 rounds of the neckline and washed it while it was still on the needles. (So, I guess I really am doing a swatch.) I'm going to let it dry and then see whether or not I'll have to frog and reknit in order to get it over my head. I've made this pattern a couple of times in acrylic. It's a basic try-on-as-you-go pattern.

My DS is now back in London. His flight left last night. We had a really nice visit. The cats miss him, as does the rest of the family. I hope he'll wear the socks I knit for him around the flat. They're Thuja socks in Sassy Stripes and size 3 needles.

Now, I'm on to getting the second Baudelaire sock finished. To finish the first, I bought my first set of cable needles. I had been using DPs for cabling but didn't have any small enough.

No comments: